Feels good to be back to blogging again. Thanks to my blogger friends for the motivation.
“Sevai” is a tiffin dish that can be done in a jiffy these days. I remember my mom making this for sunday evening tiffin. It’s quiet a project as it was done in a more elaborate fashion, from scratch. She would wash the rice, soak it for few minutes and dry it in a towel and powder it finely. Then cook it in a pan with , salt and few drops of oil and make rice balls and steam the balls in cooker. The steamed rice balls are then pressed in a machine called “sevai nazhi” to extract noodles and then seasoned with a variety of flavors and enjoyed as an evening meal on the weekends when the whole family is together. She would certainly ask my help to hold the sevai nazhi while she can turn the handle to get the noodles out of the nazhi. You can season them in a variety of flavors like Coconut , Lemon, jaggery-sweet sevai, Pepper-cumin(Milagu Jeera), Tomato, Chakarai(Cane sugar) sevai.
With the fast paced life style we have these days, it would be hard to do that. Further,this dish can be done in a microwave to save time. Rice noodles are available to buy from chinese or Indian grocers and can be used for this. Although I would still vote for the taste and texture of the sevai done by conventional method, I am pretty used to using ready-made rice noodles for this preparation. This is a an exciting lunch option for kids, as they always love to eat noodles that are colorful and fun
Done in a Microwave including the seasoning:
- Take water in a microwave container and heat it until the water boils.
- Remove the container from the microwave carefully and soak the rice noodles for 5 minutes and drain all the excess water.
- Season with a variety of flavoring and mix well.
- Enjoy with chutney or by itself.
Coconut sevai(Thengai sevai):
- Oil- 2tsp.
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Urad dhal-1 tblsp
- Dry Red chillies-2
- Curry leaves 5
- Cashew nuts-3
- Ground nut(optional)-5
- asafoetida 1tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Shredded coconuts- 11/2 cup.
- Heat oil in a microwave safe dish with ingredients 2-8 and microwave for 2 minutes with the lid closed halfway through.
- Then add shredded coconut and saute for 1 min in microwave.
- Add the microwaved contents to drained sevai , add salt and mix well.
Lemon Sevai (Elumichai sevai):
- Same as mentioned for coconut sevai. Add ingredients 1-10 and heat it in microwave for 2 minutes
- Add seasonings,salt and lemon juice, at last and mix the sevai well.
Vella Sevai(Sweet jaggery sevai):
This is my favorite.
- Jaggery- 1 cup
- Shredded coconut- 1/2 cup.
- Ghee- 2 tsp.
- Cardamom powder- 1tblsp.
- Add the jaggery and coconut in a microwave pan and mix for 2-3 minutes until it blends well.
- In another microwave dish, add ghee and cashews and raisins and heat it for a minute .
- Mix jaggery coconut blend to ghee toasted cashew and raisin and give it a gentle toss.
Microwave Easy cooking(MEC) event initiated by Srivalli of http://cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com/
Checkout this link