It’s 4 pm in the evening…………
Me: Come on honey. It’s time to drink your milk.
My daughter: No mommy. I am busy.
Me: Please da kanna. Come on, drink it quick.
My daughter: Mommy. Stop bothering me.
Me: Drinking milk makes you strong da chellam.
My daughter: (Showing her muscles) See mommy. I am already very strong.
Me:If you drink your milk, I will give you a scoop of ice-cream.
My daughter:Ice-cream is junk food mommy.( all of a sudden she gets a “nyanodhayam” that ice cream is junk food).
Me: How about your favorite movie “Finding Nemo”?
My daughter: It’s boring!
Me: If you do not drink your milk now, I will give your toys to Riya.( her friend)
My daughter: Yes mommy. we have to share our toys. You can give.
Me: I said, drink it right now, otherwise, the ghosts are gonna come and catch you.
My daughter: There are no ghosts in this world mommy. People just “pretend” to be ghosts during Halloween.
Me: If you do not drink it, I will give you a adi (Slap).
My daughter😦 with a grumpy face) This is not fair, you dont love me. I will talk to strangers…..
Yes, this is the latest way my 5 old blackmailed me, that she will talk to strangers, (Because we tell her not to talk to strangers). She uses the exact same words. That’s how much she hates milk. Every single day, I have to follow the strategies of Sam, Dhan, Bedh, Dand( the four strategies in Sanskrit literature meaning treating polite, reward, discrimination and punishment respectively) wasting 1/2 hour of my precious time. “Punarapi Jananam, punarapi Maranam”– same story repeats every single day- three times a day.
Fall in love with milk contest enthused me to find interesting and fun ways to feed her milk, that she, most kids for that matter hate the most. In the US, we get Strawberry milk, Vanilla milk, Chocolate milk etc. But back home, we used to drink Rose milk, Badam milk (Almond Milk) and Pista (Pistachio) milk, which are very flavorful. They are so tasty, aromatic and the pastel colors are so pleasing to the eyes that, anyone will fall in love with milk.
Milk is the most nutritious thing in the world, which is why “Cow is worshipped in the Hindu culture”. By making milk, more appealing to the kids, I am sure all moms would not only find great relief & lot of time saved, but also feel happy seeing the milk mustache of their kids after they finish the milk.
- Chilled Whole milk or 2% milk- 1 glass.
- Flavored essence- Rose(pink), Pista ( green), Badam ( yellow) available in indian grocery stores. It adds color and flavor- few drops. The brand I used is “Roopam”-synthetic soft drink concentrate.
- Sugar-if required-1tsp.
- Rose petals,almonds, pistachios for garnish-optional.
- You can either use boiled, and cooled milk or pasteurized,, homogenized milk, straight from the refrigerator, add few drops of the essence of your choice with or without sugar. Stir well and enjoy! It literally takes less than a minute to get this ready.
- Edible rose petals can be used as garnish for Rose milk to add interest.
- Powdered pistachios can be added for Pista milk and crushed almonds for Badam milk, for that nutty crunch at the end.
- If you do not want to have ice-cream, cake or any other high calorie options for dessert, you can simply enjoy this deliciously appealing, yet simple made in a snap-flavored milk as a great dessert drink.
- I personally like the pista milk for its wonderful color and elaichi-pista flavor. It’s too good.
Submitted to “Fall in Love with Milk event in http://www.sanghi-tastybites.blogspot.com/ Sanghi’s Food delights.