Only few hours left to catch a flight, to come back to the US. My baggages were a few pounds less than the weight allowance. Quickly took an auto rickshaw to Ambika Appalam Depot in Mylapore http://www.ambikaappalamdepot.com/. Grabbed few papads,vathals, dry powders and also grabbed a packet of Palada(Rice ada). Have heard a lot about Palada Pradhaman, but haven’t tried it myself. Decided to try it out on my daughter’s birthday and it was a blockbuster hit. My husband fell in love with me all over again. Believe me. It was that good!
- Whole Milk- 21/2 cup.
- Palada (Rice ada)- 1/2 cup.
- Cane sugar- 1/2 cup.
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp.
- Ghee- 2 tsp.
- Cashew nuts- 5.
- Soak rice ada in hot water for 10 minutes and rinse it off with cold running water.
- Pressure cook Rice ada with milk until 1 whistle.
- The cooked ada turns into a beautiful pale pink color.
- Add Sugar, cardamom powder to the pan with cooked ada.
- Let it be on the stove top for 20-25 minutes until it becomes thick.
- Heat ghee and roast cashews and add it to the payasam.
- Can be served warm or chilled.
- The kerala grocery stores or Patel brothers in the US should carry palada.
- Rice ada can be cooked straight in the pan without using the pressure cooker also.
Posting this recipe for “Fall in Love with Milk” event. Love to dedicate this dish to my husband, coz he becomes the first prey for all the things I cook. LOL!