Why get the ready made mixes, when you can make yummy Rava idli’s from scratch, in a snap. It is really simple to make this and it is a very healthy tiffin option & easy to digest and most of all kids won’t make a fuss to eat this steamed treat. I also add some scraped carrots to make it more healthy, fun, interesting and colorful.
- Bombay Rava- 1cup ( 8 idlis).
- Green chilly-2.
- Ginger- 1 inch.
- Cashew nuts- 10.
- Oil- 2 tsp.
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp.
- Channa Dhal- 1tsp.
- Curry leaves- an arc.
- Baking powder-a teeny bit.
- Salt- for taste.
- Coconut scrapes-1tsp.
- Curd- 1/2 cup. (its ok if its is sour).
- Ghee- 1tsp for coating idli plates.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds starts splattering, add channa dhal, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, curry leaves and cashews.
- Add Rava to it and roast until it becomes light brown.
- Add curd, salt, baking powder coconut scrapes and let the batter sit for 1o minutes.
- Coat the idli plates with ghee and pour the rava batter.
- Steam the rava idli’s in a cooker.
- In a few minutes, hot rava idli’s will be ready.
- Serve with coconut or coriander chutney.
- If required, 2tsp of semiya or (vermicelli) can be added to the rava( semolina).
- If you are using scraped carrots, add the scraped carrots to the idli pan in the design you want and then pour the batter.