Rasam is a form of soup, a must in every South Indian household. It is made with Tamarind juice, aromatic spices and tomatoes for the most part. There are at least 15 varieties of Rasam, ranging from Tomato Rasam, Lemon Rasam, Dhal Rasam, Garlic Rasam, Pepper Jeera Rasam(Milagu-Jeera), Pepper Rasam, Goddu Rasam, Mysore Rasam and a whole bunch of other exotic ones. A typical South Indian meal would be Sambar, followed by Rasam and completed with CurdRice or Yogurt rice. Rasam can be enjoyed as a soup, to increase the appetite or can be mixed with rice and eaten. Rasam also used as a digestive aid, because it has Jeera-Cumin, which aids digestion. When a person suffers an ailment and lack of appetite due to that, Rasam is given, as it is soft and easy to digest and will re kindle the taste buds, to increase the ailing person’s appetite.
One of the interesting Rasams that is out there is Pineapple Rasam. It’s very tasty and adds a sweet punch to the Rasam.
- Pineapple pieces- 1cup.
- Tamarind paste- 1tsp or Thin Tamarind juice-1cup.
- Salt- to taste.
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp.
- Rasam Powder-11/2 tsp.
- Cooked ,Mashed Thoor dhal- 1/2 cup.
- Jaggery- 1tsp.
- Take 4-5 cups of water in a pan and add pineapple pieces, tamarind paste and allow it to cook.
- After 5 minutes, add salt, turmeric, Rasam powder, jaggery and let it cook for another 10 minutes in low heat.
- Now add cooked, smashed Toor dhal to the pan.
- Let it cook for another 5-7 minutes and when the frothy layer forms on the Rasam, turn the heat off.
- Keep a small seasoning pan and add ghee, mustard seeds and let it splatter.
- When they start splattering, add red chilly, asafoetida and put it in the Rasam.
- Add Cilantro-Coriander leaves and keep the Rasam covered with a lid immediately, so the aroma doesn’t escape.
- Can be enjoyed as a soup or served with plain white rice.
- If required, few drops of pineapple juice or essence can be added, when the Rasam is about to be done, to enhance the pineapple flavor.
- Please refer my blog, on how to make Rasam powder.