Morekuzhambu is a traditional dish from Tamil Nadu/Kerala, made with buttermilk, coconut and indian spices. It is a dish that is very popular in the weddings and festivals. I would make this for Sunday lunch, along with vegetable dishes that would go with morekuzhambu, so we can enjoy this on a more relaxing day and may be have a short nap after the meal. Sounds good Huh?
- Chayote or Chow Chow-2.
- Thick curd-1 1/2cup.
- Shredded Coconut- 1/2 cup.
- Ginger- 2 inch piece.
- Green chillies-3.
- Cumin seeds-1tsp.
- Channa Dhal-1/2 cup.
- Coconut Oil or Vegetable oil-1tsp.
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp.
- Methi seeds-1/2 tsp.
- Red chilly-1.
- Asafoetida-a pinch.
- Salt-to taste.
- Turmeric -a pinch-(optional).
- Curry leaves-1 arc.
- Soak Channa dhal in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Peel and cut Chow Chow into small cubes.
- Whip the curd with a little water to make buttermilk.
- Boil the vegetable with very less water in a cooking pan.
- Grind Soaked channa dhal, coconuts, jeera (Cumin), green chillies, ginger to a paste.
- Mix the above to buttermilk, add salt, turmeric and add to boiled vegetable in the cooking pan.
- Reduce the heat and use a ladle to mix well every now and then, so the buttermilk doesn’t disintegrate.
- When it becomes frothy, turn the heat off.
- Keep a small seasoning pan, add oil, mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds splatter, quickly add methi seeds, red chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida and add it to the morekuzhambu.
- Serve with Hot White Rice.
- In health perspective, the amount of coconuts can be reduced and channa dhal can be increased. 2 spoonfuls of coconut can be added, not to compromise the originality of the recipe.
- While adding curry leaves to the seasoning pan, stand a little far, because curry leaves will splatter from the water content.
- Adding turmeric is purely optional. Some people like morekuzhambu to have white color. I like adding turmeric. Besides giving a rich color to the dish, it also has antibacterial properties.
- Other popular vegetables that can be used to make morekuzhambu are Okras-ladies finger-have to be sauted in oil and added, white pumpkin, drumstick, potato, Taro or Sivapankizhangu or colocasia.