“Shankranthi” is celebrated as Pongal in Tamilnadu. It is also the harvest festival. During the 3 day festival, Chakara pongal (sweet) and Venn pongal(Spicy) are prepared at home and offered to Surya Bhagavan-“The Sun”. Venn Pongal is very healthy and is a frequent menu at home. It can be served with Gotsu,Sambar, Coconut chutney,Rojapoo chutney,Hot lime pickle.
- Ponni or Jasmine Rice- 1 cup.
- Split Moong Dhal-1/2 cup.
- Salt to taste.
- Turmeric powder- a bit.
- Asafoetida- a pinch.
- Ginger pieces- a few.
- Cashew nuts-6.
- Black pepper whole-10.
- Pepper jeera coarse powder-1 tblsp.
- Curry leaves-1 arc.
- Dry roast moong dhal until a nice aroma starts coming.
- Soak the moong dhal in water for 10 min.
- Wash the rice and add it to soaked moong dhal, add 4 cups of water,turmeric and pressure cook till 3 whistles.
- Take a kadai-put ghee-add all the ingredients mentioned above for seasoning one by one and add it to the cooked rice.
- Mix them well with salt and serve hot with a little ghee.
Venn pongal with a drop of ghee would actually melt in your mouth…..
Note: Adding salt would increase the boiling point and moong dhal may not get cooked properly. So, add salt after the rice and dhal are cooked. Venn Pongal is a dish, where rice is cooked really soft.