Adai is one of this wholesome tiffin dishes that is very filling and healthy. It’s rich in protein from the lentils that are used. It’s easy to prepare. My daughter loves to eat this with sugar and ghee. My husband and I enjoy eating this with Avial,Jaggery and a dollop of butter.
- Rice- 1/2 cup.
- Preboiled rice-1/2 cup.
- Thoor Dhal-1/4 cup.
- Channa Dhal- 1/2 cup.
- Urad Dhal-whole-1/4 cup.
- Dried Red Chillies-3.
- Salt to taste.
- Asafoetida(Hing)-a pinch.
- Finely chopped onions.
- Curry leaves-1 arc.
- Coconut scrapes-2 tbsp.
- Soak the Rice and Dhals for about 2-3 hrs.
- Coarsely grind it in a mixer with salt, asafoetida,red chillies.
- You can allow it to ferment, if a slight sour taste is required.
- Add coconut scrapes,chopped onions and curry leaves just before cooking.
- Add water just enough, so the batter becomes easy to handle and pour in a flat pan.
- Heat the pan in medium heat and pour the batter with a ladle and make it into a round.
- You can make 2 or 3 small holes randomly in the adai, so it gets cooked evenly.
- Add oil on the sides and the holes you made,and turn when the bottom looks golden brown.
- Let the other side cook well and serve with side dishes shown in the picture.
Note: Other veggies that can be used are cabbage,carrots instead of onions. I usually do plain for my daughter, as she doesn’t like onions in them.
Can also be served with Chutney if desired.