“Maligapoo Madiri”- is an expression used to describe idlis which are as soft as a Jasmine flower. Yes,this is the Most famous dish of south India that is as soft as a jasmine and melts in your mouth. There is no household that would not make this dish. It’s a typical breakfast dish that is easy to make, provided the dough is ready. Some households have this as a staple breakfast. It’s such a comfort food, even when somebody falls sick or running a fever, they would be allowed to have Idli’s because, its so easy to digest. This is one of the dishes, that is appealing to both kids and adults.
I have a lot of North Indian friends and friends from East and West India, that always ask me “how to make Idlis? “Things that are simple to me could be of interest to others. So, thought, why not post the very famous Idli. Idli’s range from Kanjeevaram,menthya idli, plain rice idli to Kushboo Idlis. I am going to be posting the simple regular Idli. Idli preparation needs some prior planning. The rice and Urad dhal has to be soaked for 8-9 hrs and ground to paste and allowed to ferment. So, if you are planning to make Idlis tomorrow, you have to start the preparation today. But when the dough is ready, Idlis can be made in a snap!
- Preboiled Rice -Idli rice or Idli Rava-3cups.
- Whole Urad Dhal-white-1 cup.
- Soak rice and urad dhal for 8-9 hrs.
- Grind them to a smooth paste with salt added to it.
- Allow it to ferment- if required a little yeast can be added in the winter time.
- Use the top layer of the fermented dough for Idlis and the bottom layer can be used for Dosas.
- The Idli plates can be coated with a little oil , so Idlis come out without sticking.
- Steam the idlis in a idli plate in a cooker.
- To check if the idlis are done, just take a small spoon and insert in the center.If it comes out clean, the idlis are done. You can also tell the idlis are done with the aroma.
- Enjoy them with a drop pf gingelly oil and milaga podi-or idli podi , chutney and sambar.
Idli Milagapodi recipe from my Mom
- Channa Dhal-1/2 cup.
- Urad dhal-1/2 cup.
- Dry red chillies-2cups.
- Black sesame seeds-2 tsp.
Keep a little gingelly oil in a pan-roast all the ingredients. Sesame can be added at last.Grind them to a coarse powder and store in a container. Use it with gingelly oil.
I got both Idli grinder and steamer from the US.