This is my first post. I would like to start with a sweet note. My Cousin Harini visited me from Texas after finishing her graduation. I was planning something sweet for her, for having completed her studies successfully. I asked her what would she like me, to cook for her. The first thing that came out of her mouth was- “induka, I want chakka pradhaman”. Wow, what a choice!. That was one of my all time favorites.
My grand mom hails from palakad. She used to make this for us, which would be heavenly. Since we don’t get fresh chakka here in the US, I got the tinned chakka(Jackfruit cholai-pieces). Here is how I made it.
- Ripe Jackfruit- 10 numbers.
- Coconut milk – 3/4 Cup.
- Coconuts shredded-1/4 cup.
- Grated Jaggery(Vellam)-3/4 to 1 Cup( depending on how sweet you want it).
- Ghee-11/2 tsps.
- Cardamom powder-1/4 tsps.
- Sliced Cashewnuts.
- Chopped Almonds.
- Grind coconut with little water and take extract coconut extract.
- Chop jackfruits into very small pieces.
- Heat 1 cup water in a vessel.when it starts boiling,add jackfruit pieces and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add jaggery and let it melt completely and add cardamom.
- Now add the coconut milk along with little( regular milk if required).
- Fry cashew nuts and chopped almonds in ghee and garnish.
- When a nice aroma comes from payasam and its thickened, remove from heat.
- Can be served warm. Best tastes chilled.
Note: I personally grind the jackfruit pieces once its cooked with water, for a better consistency.
When ever i do a sweet dish, I also do “Neivedhyam“-offering to GOD, before consuming.