Every year during autumn, we go on a “Pick your own -Apple picking trip”. We love to go to the apple Orchard and taste all the varieties of apples from there. You are allowed to eat any number of apples from there and bring home some in a bag you purchased. A 20 $ bag would hold close to 40 apples. “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” – I try telling this to my family to encourage them to eat at least one a day, but nobody seems to eat it.I usually give the sweet ones away to neighbours and make apple juice etc. Still, how many apples can one eat. So, the sour ones, I would typically end up making Apple thokku or apple pickle, by scraping the apples and mixing it with spices and cooking it to perfection.This is one thing, I husband would offer to help me coz, he absolutely loves this healthy and tasty pickle.
- Apples sour variety- 20.
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp.
- Gingelly oil (Sesame oil)-4 tblsp.
- Mustard seeds-1tsp.
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp.
- Red Chilli powder-1 & 1/2-tblsp.
- Dry roast the fenugreek seeds ( methi or venthaya) and powder it to a fine powder.
- Have all the other ingredients ready.
- Peel the skin of the apple and remove the pith. Apple corer can be used.
- Scrape them, with a scraper and cover them, so they don’t get oxidized.
- Keep 1 tblsp oil in a pan(Kadai), add mustard seeds.
- After they splatter, add scraped apples, salt, turmeric, chilly powder, asafoetida and cook well.
- Add the rest of the oil slowly as it cooks. It might take about 1/2 hour to cook.Keep stirring with a ladle.
- Add Fenugreek powder at last.
- When the thokku rounds up and doesn’t stick to the pan, its done.
- Let it cool for sometime and can be stored in an airtight container.
Enjoy this delicious pickle with bread toast, chapathis, parathas, mixed with plain rice, curd rice etc. Sour green apples are just perfect to make apple thokku. I am sure you will be licking your fingers, after tasting this thokku.
Note: If you do not have gingelly oil, can also be done with vegetable oil or even olive oil.